Residence Angels - Blog

Poland residence permit for EU Citizen | Step-by-step guide

Latest news
poland temporary residence permit eu citizen registration in poland as eu citizen how much it cost to have a trc in gdansk poland eu citizen poland european citizens residence permit eu registering residence in poland eu citizen registration poland regist
As of January 5, 2024, the European Union is comprised of 27 member countries including Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, and Sweden. Internal migration within the EU is steadily increasing, influenced by globalization and the recent end of COVID-19. This has led to a rise in European digital nomads and investors seeking a new country to settle in. Poland stands out as a country with significant immigration potential. If you're an EU citizen planning to move to Poland, we have prepared a comprehensive guide to help you legalize your stay and obtain your Polish residence permit. Let's dive in.

Do EU citizens need visa for Poland?

No, EU citizens do not need a visa to enter Poland. As a member of the European Union, Poland allows free movement of citizens from other EU countries. This means that EU citizens can travel to, live, and work in Poland without the need for a visa. However, for stays longer than three months, EU citizens need to register their residence and meet certain requirements, such as proving they have sufficient means of support and health insurance.

How to get Residence Permit in Poland for EU citizen?

The registration is initiated by the EU citizen’s application, which should be submitted in person, no later than the day after the 3-month period of their entry into Poland. This personal submission requirement does not apply to minors.

You have to visit the Immigration office accordingly to the place of your residence and submit full package of the documents. take into account, that missing documents will affect the timing of your application and may be a reason of refusal. After successful application you will get the registration card (residence permit for EU citizen in Poland).

You can always contact our office for assistance with your case. We will be happy to help you!

Our contacts:
📞 +48 574 266 399
🔎 Poland, Warsaw, Marszałkowska 89 (2nd floor)

Documents required for registering an EU citizen’s residence in Poland include:

  • One clearly filled out application form in Polish.
  • A valid travel document or another identity and citizenship verification document.
  • Four undamaged, sharp, color photographs

If employed or self-employed in Poland:

  • A written declaration of intent to employ the EU citizen or a certificate of employment.
  • An excerpt from the National Court Register if required, or proof of self-employment.

If covered by universal health insurance or entitled to healthcare benefits:

  • Proof of health insurance or entitlement to healthcare benefits.
  • Proof of sufficient financial means to support oneself and family members without burdening social assistance.

If studying or undergoing vocational training in Poland:

  • A certificate of enrollment in studies or vocational training.
  • Written statement or proof of having sufficient financial resources.

If married to a Polish citizen:

  • Proof of marriage to a Polish citizen.

If working in Poland and subject to work market access limitations based on international agreements, the EU citizen obtains the right to stay for longer than 3 months upon receiving a promise of work permit issuance.

Remember that package of the documents may differ in every city. Sometimes it is also required to bring more proofs of purpose of stay.


How much it cost to have a TRC in Gdansk (Poland) for EU citizen

As an EU citizen, you are exempt from paying any immigration fees for registering your stay in Poland. Additionally, the Temporary Residence Card (TRC) is not required for you, as your EU residence status does not have an expiration date. TRC is only issued to NON-EU citizens.

Instead, you only need to update your registration once every ten years. The "Zaświadczenie o zarejestrowaniu pobytu obywatela UE" (Certificate of Registration of an EU Citizen's Residence), annotated with "Directive 2004/38/EC," serves as proof of your right to reside in Poland for more than three months. This applies not only to EU citizens but also to citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland.

Poland EU Citizen overstay

Under Polish law, as an EU citizen, you are generally required to register your stay if you plan to remain in Poland for more than 90 days. However, monitoring and enforcement of this requirement can be challenging, especially if you work remotely. The primary way the authorities might check if you've overstayed is through your engagement with the Polish social security system (ZUS), which includes regular contributions typically associated with full-time employment at a company within Poland. If you are registered in other systems that can verify your presence and employment status, these could also be used to monitor your stay.

For remote workers, proving continuous presence in Poland could be more complicated due to the nature of their employment. Therefore, it's crucial to be mindful of your legal obligations and ensure that you register your stay appropriately to avoid any potential issues with immigration authorities. Staying compliant with local laws, including registering your status, is important to ensure a hassle-free experience while residing in Poland.

What do I need as EU citizen to work in Poland?

Citizens of the European Union, the European Economic Area, and Switzerland are eligible to work in Poland without needing a work permit. Entrepreneurs can also assign employees from these countries to work in Poland. If you wish to directly employ a foreign national from an EU, EEA, or Swiss member state in your business, you can do so just as you would hire a Polish citizen – in this case, no additional formalities are required.

Can an EU citizen get permanent residency card in Poland?

EU citizens are generally eligible for permanent (i.e., indefinite) residence after 5 years of uninterrupted living in Poland. However, 'uninterrupted' doesn't mean there can't be any departures from the country. The stay in Poland during this time must comply with the regulations for acquiring and maintaining the residence right for an EU citizen. In some instances, the right to permanent residence may be granted after a shorter period of uninterrupted residence in Poland.

Once an EU citizen has earned permanent residence rights, they are issued a document confirming this status. To get this document, the EU citizen must apply in person to the local voivode (provincial governor) of their residence area in Poland, using a specific application form.

This document confirming permanent residence is usually issued within 30 days.

It's important to note that if you have continuously lived in Poland for a sufficient length of time (usually 5 years) and met the residence right conditions, you are entitled to permanent residence in Poland, even if you haven't completed the formalities for residence registration exceeding 3 months. To obtain the document that confirms this right, you should submit an application form to the relevant voivode.

For those who acquired permanent residence rights before Poland joined the European Union (i.e., before May 1, 2004), these rights are retained indefinitely. However, it's important to remember that your status now aligns with the status applicable to EU citizens. In such cases, you should apply for a document confirming the right of permanent residence according to Directive 2004/38/EC.